David Brandt Berg
Whether you accept and believe in its teachings or not, it cannot be denied that the Bible is the most remarkable, amazing, and absolutely unique book that has ever been written.
If you have an open mind and are sincerely searching for the truth, you will discover that the Bible is not merely some religious book, but it is the most amazing, marvelous book in the whole world—which has the answers to everything: where we came from, how we got here, why we’re here, how to survive and be happy while here, and how to love and have happiness forever.
But before deciding whether or not to accept and believe in this amazing book, consider the following seven facts that set it apart as a unique volume:
- The Bible is unique in its continuity. It was written over a 1,500-year time span by over 40 authors from every walk of life, including kings, peasants, philosophers, fishermen, shepherds, soldiers, poets, statesmen, scholars, etc. Nevertheless, from beginning to end, its authors spoke on hundreds of controversial subjects with harmony and continuity, outlining one unfolding story: God’s love and purpose for humanity.
- The Bible has been read by more people than any other book. It has outsold every book that has ever been written, and it still sells more copies every year than any other in the world.
- The Bible has been translated and published in more languages than any other book in existence. As far back as 1966 the whole Bible had appeared in 240 languages and dialects, and one or more of its books appeared in 739 additional ones.
- The Bible, compared with all other ancient writings, has more manuscript evidence than any ten pieces of classical literature combined. Although originally written on perishable materials, having to be recopied by hand for thousands of years before the invention of the printing press, its style, correctness and accuracy has been preserved as has no other book in history. The Jews had special classes of scholars within their culture whose sole duty was to preserve and transmit the books of the Bible with perfect accuracy, counting the very consonants, vowels, syllables and words per manuscript as a means of double-checking. Thousands of ancient manuscripts in the original languages have been unearthed which prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the Scriptures have come down through the ages to us as they were originally written.
- The Bible has withstood vicious attacks as has no other book. Many have tried to burn it, destroy it, and outlaw it, from the days of the Roman emperors to some present-day countries. Its very existence today and the fact that its teachings and truths have been preserved despite the countless campaigns and tirades against it is in itself miraculous.
- Discovery after discovery by modern archaeologists has confirmed the Bible’s accuracy and has proven it to be a source of history. Archaeologists following Old Testament references have rediscovered whole nations
- The Bible is the only volume ever produced which contains a large number of prophecies accurately predicting the future of individual nations, peoples, cities, and the coming of one who was to be the Messiah. Although the ancient world had many different devices for determining the future, nowhere in Greek and Latin literature can there be found real specific prophecy of a great historic event to come in the distant future. But the Bible is full of countless detailed, specific prophecies that have been miraculously fulfilled—except, of course, those yet to be fulfilled.
What an amazing and remarkable book! Yet so many people today ignore the Bible completely. Time and time again we talk to people who’ve read hundreds and hundreds of books, yet have never even cracked open the Bible, the most fascinating book in the world!—In which you can find drama, love, hate, peace, war, romance, poetry, prophecy, history, mystery, etc. Just think about it: words of wisdom from thousands of years ago, from the days before Moses. It’s such an important book, and one of the oldest books in the world, yet a lot of people don’t even bother to read it. In doing so, they neglect the very words of life.
Each of us is on a long journey, and the one who knows the way has instructed some of His men to draw a detailed map so we won’t get lost and so we can learn the right way to operate down here and ultimately make it safely to our final destination. But to say you don’t have time to read God’s map, the Bible, is like a driver going on a long journey and saying, “Well, I’m in such a hurry to get there, I don’t have time to look at the map!” But if you’ll take the Bible and simply read it, believe it, and follow it, you will be on the right path and wind up at the right place.
That is actually the greatest proof that the Bible really is the miraculous, supernatural Word of God Himself—it works! So why not try it? It’s the greatest, most enduring, wisest, most truthful book in the world. I’m sure that you will find it an absolutely inexhaustible source of wisdom and knowledge, out of which you will constantly find “treasures new and old” (Matthew 13:52).
Of course, the most wonderful thing about the Bible is that, through its words, we can get to know its author. For the Bible is God’s great love letter to us. Its life-giving words make it the greatest book in the world, with the only author in the world that can guarantee life and love and happiness and heaven forever through simply reading it and believing in its main character, the one who loved us so much that He gave His own life to save us—Jesus Christ, the Son of God. All of the wonderful, thrilling things that you read about Jesus doing in the Bible can and do happen today too, for “Jesus Christ is the same, yesterday, today and forever” (Hebrews 13:8).
So take the Bible and sincerely pray, “Open Thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of Thy Word” (Psalm 119:18). Start with the New Testament and the wonderful words of Jesus in the Gospels and read them—not as fairytales of the past, but as God’s Word for you today—and see how inspiring, uplifting, feeding, and encouraging the truth of the Word of God can be. In the beautiful Gospel of John particularly, you will find the spiritual depths of the love of God and His salvation for you.
Have you received God’s love through Jesus? Have you tasted the wonderful, soul-satisfying waters of His wonderful Word? If not, receive Jesus into your heart personally by simply asking Him to come into your life, to forgive you of all your sins, and give you His love and peace and free gift of eternal life. Then you can not only read His Word with understanding, but you’ll have the love and the strength to obey it and to share His truth and love and wonder working words with others who need them too!
Copyright © The Family International